MBA programs are the best business education programs in the world. None of separately selected seminars, trainings and courses can replace the complex management education these programs give.
There’s nothing better in business education.
However, there is often a question about the quality of programs in a particular business school. It can’t always be determined on the basis of the subjects and topic titles that are declared in the program. To answer this question we made a list of core competencies that an MBA graduate must possess. The list is made on an example of graduates of Business school EMAS.
A graduate of the MBA should be able to:
1. Get the company out of almost any crisis and do not bring the company to a crisis.
2. Correctly identify profitable market niches and create a company's position in the market.
Create a market model, determine its volume and anticipate its dynamics. (applies to the Executive MBA graduates)
4. Create and put new products on the market.
Evaluate and anticipate the effectiveness of the business model of the company and its competitors in the future, predict the sales of the company and ones of its competitors. (applies to the Executive MBA graduates)
6. Create an appropriate system of financial accounting, correctly calculate the profitability of products and determine break-even points and product pricing.
Develop an effective strategy for survival in the red ocean and entrance into the blue ocean. (applies to the Executive MBA graduates)
Correctly manage the intellectual capital of the company and increase it. (applies to the Executive MBA graduates)
9. Effectively manage sales under the conditions of lack of human, financial and time resources - correctly identify the most profitable customer and commodity groups relying on modern management tools.
10. Build an effective marketing strategy, master the tools of strategic marketing. Correctly design a brand of the company and its product, master brand management, which turns the brand into the main asset of the company.
11. Master methods of project management, in any industry (from IT to agriculture).
12. Create effective systems of BI system to make reasoned decision in production, finance, sales, logistics, etc.
Master the methods of revision management - be able to conduct a company through turbulent changes with the maximum speed and minimum costs. (applies to the Executive MBA graduates)
14. Master methods of goal-setting in business - be able to cascade goals from the level of a company (holding) to the level of a business unit / subsidiary, a structural unit and each individual employee.
Create effective incentive and motivation systems for employees, understand the difference between these systems and be able to effectively combine them. (applies to the Executive MBA graduates)
Manage the mood of the team - form such type and level of productivity of the company culture, which contributes to the achievement of the company's goals. (applies to the Executive MBA graduates)
Build such business ecosystem that organically involve itself into the customers’ lives and help to get the maximum amount of money from them, offering them a whole range of products and services. (applies to the Executive MBA graduates)
18. Consider the nuances of legislation when conducting business, be legal literate. Have a common understanding of possible schemes that will allow you to bypass negative law.
19. Organize work of employees, know how different types of HR-systems are built to solve specific business problems.
Project and build effective business processes. (applies to the Executive MBA graduates)
21. Administer production considering the introduction of advanced production systems (for example, TOC, lean manufacturing, QRM, etc.).
Organize logistics chains, know the principles of the organization of transport logistics. (applies to the Executive MBA graduates)
Work in external markets, know the rules of working with international contracts, understand all mechanisms there (for example, Incoterms, etc.). (applies to the Executive MBA graduates)
24. Create such business models that are more effective than the competitors' ones: produce cheaper and better quality than competitors, be able to survive in market conditions that are unbearable for competitors, promote more effectively than competitors, work faster than they.
25. Choose leadership types and approaches that are necessary to solve specific tasks, have a clear understanding of these types and approaches. Own specific managerial tools, which can solve various administration tasks.
26. Do the maximum for the minimum time, master methods of personal performance and time management.
27. Speak publicly, master speaking skills for effective and convincing speeches.
Look like a successful and attractive person, master the rules of the modern dress code. (applies to the Executive MBA graduates)
29. Create and promote your own personal brand to increase personal value on the labor market, be able to properly promote it to attract a talented team.
30. Reshape way of thinking to a strategic way as opposed to the conventional tactical way to see the whole picture, understand more and win in business.
31. Sustain under kicks and overcome difficulties in life and business, no matter what. Rely on yourself as a key resource.
Andrei Kolyada, Rector of EMAS